Pipers Creek — which runs through Carkeek Park in Northwest Seattle — has been the focus for generations of local volunteers.
Urban Creeks Legacy projects in the area include:
1. Pipers Creek Restoration was completed in 1999 in Carkeek Park.
2. Street Edge Alternatives (S.E.A.) Streets, a demonstration project using innovative drainage design and landscaping instead of traditional curbs and gutters.
Pipers Creek facts
• Located in northwest Seattle
• Drains a 1,835-acre watershed into Puget Sound
• Runs through the residential area of the upper plateau and the steep ravines in Carkeek Park
• Headwaters begin in the North Greenwood neighborhood
• Citizens wrote The Pipers Creek Watershed Action Plan and are active volunteers
• Salmon return in late November and early December
• Chum salmon from a local hatchery are released every year
• Wild coho salmon and steelhead or cutthroat trout can also be seen in the creek